1. Safety first: When designing your landscape and hardscape, safety should be your top priority. Consider installing fences, gates, or barriers to keep children and pets within a designated area. Avoid using toxic plants or materials that could harm children or pets if ingested. Also, avoid sharp or pointed hardscaping materials that could cause injury if fallen upon.
2. Create designated play areas: To prevent children and pets from wandering into unsafe areas, designate specific play areas within your landscape design. This could include a play structure,
sandbox, or designated area for ball play. Creating these areas also helps to maintain the integrity of your landscape design by keeping heavy use in specific locations.
3. Choose durable materials: When selecting hardscaping materials, choose durable and non-slip materials that can withstand heavy use and exposure to the elements. Pavers, stamped
concrete, and flagstone are popular choices for patios and walkways. A smooth surface is also easier on little feet and pet paws.
4. Incorporate water features safely: Children and pets are naturally drawn to water features like fountains and ponds. However, they can also pose a safety hazard. When incorporating water features into your design, consider adding a safety cover, fence or barrier, or place the feature in a raised location out of reach. You could also choose a child-friendly water feature like a splash pad or bubbling fountain.
5. Make room for pets: If you have pets, be sure to incorporate their needs into your landscape design. This could include installing a designated area for them to go potty, creating a designated
play area, or adding a path or walkway that allows them to move freely throughout the yard without trampling plants or other features. You could also incorporate natural features like a pet-safe lawn, shrubs for shade, and water features for hydration.
By following these tips, you can create a landscape and hardscape design that is both beautiful and functional, while also ensuring the safety and enjoyment of your children and pets.